Tuesday, September 02, 2014

The Shameful Case of Parents Efforts to Get the Best Medical Treatment for their Son with Cancer

I have been sickened and outraged to learn that more than a day after Ashya King's parents were arrested in Spain, they continue to be detained since the British Authorities haven't cancelled their arrest warrant, even though at the time of their arrest, the facts of this case were already known.

I have written the letter below to my MP and signed this petition at change.org:
https://www.change.org/p/police-reunite-ashya-with-his-parents
 -----
Dear Mr Goodwill

I'm writing to ask your opinion on the case of Ashya King and his parents, and what action you are taking to end the deplorable situation in which they find themselves.

In the first place I completely understood why the authorities took the word of the hospital and made strenuous efforts to find Ashya King. It seemed that the little boy's life was in danger.

But since his father released a video, we've seen Ashya and had a full and detailed explanation of all the circumstances, and we've seen the feeding machine working and had that explained, it is more than completely clear that the parents are doing their best for their son... sparing no effort and sparing no personal sacrifice to get him the best treatment possible.

I do hope you have watched the video in full, Mr Goodwill. Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ETQn9ZPwk

Because what is clear to me is that after the video was released and the Spanish police had interviewed Ashya's parents, the Interpol arrest warrant should have been cancelled in short order, the parents should have been aided on their way to get the treatment they are seeking; and most probably an investigation should be launched into the poor quality of treatment he has been offered in the UK.

I knew that the child had been taken to hospital yesterday while his parents were questioned by the Spanish police, but I felt completely confident that the matter would quickly be sorted out from that point. When I learned this evening that the parents are languishing in a Spanish jail because the British authorities *still* haven't cancelled the arrest warrant, I was sickened to the stomach. I have to say that I have never been so ashamed of my wretched country.

Please tell me your views and what part you're playing in making sure Ashya King's parents can continue their efforts to get him the best treatment possible.

Yours sincerely

- Andi Ye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home